To preserve and protect its shellfish population, the Town of Nantucket is proactive in working to maintain the highest possible standards through:
• Strict management of local waterways and estuaries
• Balancing recreational boating and protection of natural shellfish habitats
• Adaptive catch regulations
• Seasonal limitations
• Strictly enforced daily harvest limits
• Adherence to harvesting temperature regulations
• Prohibition on harvest and possession of seed scallops
• Dredging equipment regulations to assure minimum disturbance of sea beds
• Support of emergency measures to save and return to the water scallops washed ashore during major storms
• Funding Town of Nantucket shellfish biologists’ efforts to boost scallop populations through propagation
• On-going data collection of the scallop population and harvesting
On January 1, 2013 a Town of Nantucket Board of Health regulation went into effect to control the content and application of fertilizer containing phosphorus and nitrogen. The purpose of this regulation is to improve and restore the quality of Nantucket’s water resources. It provides for a reduction of nitrogen and phosphorus into Nantucket’s waters and wetlands through an organized educational program, licensure and regulations of practice.
Please visit The Nantucket Land Council website for all of the up to date information on fertilizer best practices and how to keep our water clean.
PUMP OUT FACILITIES
NANTUCKET BOAT BASIN – ALL SLIPS
NANTUCKET BOAT BASIN GAS DOCK – 24 hours
END OF THE TOWN PIER – 7:30am-8 pm.
TOWN PUMP OUT BOAT – 8am- 5pm – VHF Ch. 14
MADAKET MARINE – 8am-4 pm
BASIC RULES OF GOOD HARBOR STEWARDSHIP
PUMP OUT ALL BLACK AND GREY WATER-IT'S THE LAW!
THROW ALL RECYCLABLES AND TRASH IN LANDSIDE CONTAINERS
WASH DOWN YOUR BOAT WITH ONLY WANTER AND A BRUSH-NO SOAP!
DON'T USE ANY CHEMICALS TO CLEAN YOUR BOAT BOTTOM IN THE HARBOR
USE ONLY SMALL AMOUNTS OF ECO-FRIENDLY SOAPS FOR BATHING, DISH WASHING AND LAUNDRY. BETTER STILL, ONLY USE LANDSIDE SHOWER AND LAUNDRY FACILITIES!
NEVER THROW FISH WASTE OR NEWLY SHUCKED SHELLS IN THE HARBORS!
IF YOU SPILL FUEL, OIL OR OTHER TOXIC LIQUIDS OVERBOARD, CALL THE AUTHORITIES IMMEDIATELY!
IMPORTANT TELEPHONE NUMBERS
NANTUCKET BOAT BASIN
Dock Master (508) 325-1350 or VHF Ch. 09 or 11
TOWN PIER and NANTUCKET HARBOR
Harbormaster and Pump Out Boat (508) 228-7261 or VHF Ch. 14 Nantucket Moorings (508) 228-4472 or VHF Ch. 68
Madaket Marine (508) 228-1163 or VHF Ch. 78
US COAST GUARD – Station Brant Point
(508) 228-0388 or VHF Ch. 16
Police/Fire EMERGENCY – Dial 911